Monday, January 11, 2010

My Heart Hurts

My heart hurts today.  You see, I live in the south and we have had horrible temperatures this past few weeks.  People down here just don't know how to handle it.  Pipes are bursting, cars are sliding on ice, and people are getting hurt.  This Saturday, three of my neighbors thought the ice on our neighborhood pond was frozen enough that they could play on it.  They were wrong.  One child survived, two did not.  I watched part of the rescue from my car since I could not get to my house, leaning into the back seat touching my baby to reassure myself that he was safe.  I saw a friend frantically looking for her two boys my heart stopping until they found each other.  I talked to other mothers and we instinctively reached out to touch each other- needing the human contact and reassurance.

Later that evening, the cars started.  One of the boys lives a few houses away from me and people came to show their respect.  Cars are parked all over the place- some nicely in line, some hodgepodge.  On Sunday the cars were still there and more people were visiting the lake area.  There are people who go to talk, sing, leave items and some just sit.  It is a steady stream of people visiting.

There are messages on facebook about loving your family and treating each day as if it is the last.  Messages about showing your love and support for the boys and for their families that are eloquent and that are awkward or simple.

This is my simple message.... My heart hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love people!